Kerala Litfest 2022 – 20 to 23 January 2022

On the Beach – The Kerala Literature Festival 2022

223
Kerala Litfest 2020 Photo KLF | festivals
Kerala Litfest 2019 Photo KLF

The sixth Kerala Literature festival is taking place from 20 to 23 January on the beach at Calicut. (The dates have been changed as of 19 November 2021) The Kerala Litfest 2022 will be a hybrid event with 70% of its sessions being held physically and the rest 30%, virtually. This is a liberal platform for all the arts and to empower writers, thinkers, and artists and thinkers and their audiences to interact in a celebration of liberty and our rights to exercise freedom of thought and expression. The organizers, say, “With the KLF we aim to become a major cultural intervention that helps to liberate the creative potential of the human being.”

The fifth edition of the KLF witnessed a record-breaking footfall of 270,000 readers and enthusiasts across the four days of festival attending sessions conducted by about 500 guest speakers and authors. Described as “The grandest celebration of words, ideas, and stories,” the Kerala Literature Festival has swiftly become one of the largest cultural gatherings in Asia and the largest in South India.

KLF 2022 will host 4 days of discussions on literature and cultural celebrations held across 3 tracks running in parallel streams. Over 300 authors, critics, and speakers will include several Nobel laureates, Booker, and Oscar winners including Arundhati Roy, Shashi Tharoor, Wendy Doniger, Sudhir Kakar, Perumal Murugan, Manu S Pillai, and Devdutt Pattnaik. Confirmation is awaited from Indra Nooyi, Slavoj Zizek, Jeffrey Archer, and several other authors and speakers.

The Kerala Litfest is a cosmopolitan and outward-looking platform with its cultural evenings and curated gastronomical exuberance. There is a pan India flavor to the event with the participation of colleges and institutions across the country and the media presence of print, television, radio, and online.

Editor – The dates of the Kerala Litfest have been pre-poned by the organizers to 20 to 23 January 2022.

2023 promises an interesting ride for print in India

Indian Printer and Publisher founded in 1979 is the oldest B2B trade publication in the multi-platform and multi-channel IPPGroup. While the print and packaging industries have been resilient in the past 33 months since the pandemic lockdown of 25 March 2020, the commercial printing and newspaper industries have yet to recover their pre-Covid trajectory.

The fragmented commercial printing industry faces substantial challenges as does the newspaper industry. While digital short-run printing and the signage industry seem to be recovering a bit faster, ultimately their growth will also be moderated by the progress of the overall economy. On the other hand book printing exports are doing well but they too face several supply-chain and logistics challenges.

The price of publication papers including newsprint has been high in the past year while availability is diminished by several mills shutting down their publication paper and newsprint machines in the past four years. Indian paper mills are also exporting many types of paper and have raised prices for Indian printers. To some extent, this has helped in the recovery of the digital printing industry with its on-demand short-run and low-wastage paradigm.

Ultimately digital print and other digital channels will help print grow in a country where we are still far behind in our paper and print consumption and where digital is a leapfrog technology that will only increase the demand for print in the foreseeable future. For instance, there is no alternative to a rise in textbook consumption but this segment will only reach normality in the next financial year beginning on 1 April 2023.

Thus while the new normal is a moving target and many commercial printers look to diversification, we believe that our target audiences may shift and change. Like them, we will also have to adapt with agility to keep up with their business and technical information needs.

Our 2023 media kit is ready, and it is the right time to take stock and reconnect with your potential markets and customers. Print is the glue for the growth of liberal education, new industry, and an emerging economy. We seek your participation in what promises to be an interesting ride.

– Naresh Khanna

Subscribe Now

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here